- Great technology ultimately failed to capitalize.
- CEO stressing that SGI not looking for exit strategy. Yeah, right!
- Botched and failed acquisitions. Focus on perceived core, missed opportunities elsewhere. Cultural heritage hurdles!
- Made irrelevant by commodity, PC and open source. Going the way Data General, DEC and Sequent went.
- Is it all over for SGI? Most likely!
Based on the mentioned strategy of "Going Downstream", I am certain SGI is heading in the same direction as every company mentioned in The Innovator's Dilemma who tried this after getting beat by smaller rivals/technologies. This strategy along with reorganization and cost cutting measures may create a smaller leaner SGI ready to be plucked by a rival but it is not going to make SGI an innovative top-tier leader again.