EMC SnapView storage system based software is to create a copy of a LUN by using clones and snapshots. It is used primarily for system backups and testing. Clone is actual complete copy and snapshot is a virtual point-in-time copy of source LUN.
- Full access to production data with minimal performance impact.
- Coherent, readable and writable copy of production data at a particular point in time
- Offload the backup overhead to another host.
- SnapView driver that resides on storage system with LUNs you want to copy.
- admsnap utlity (command line executable) for managing clones and snapshots resides on the hosts connected to the storage system that has SnapView driver.
- Setup through Navisphere Manager GUI or CLI.
- Production host that contains the LUN you want to copy (source LUN) and runs customer applications.
- Another host that lets you view the clone or snapshot, owns them, reads from or writes to them and performs independent tasks such as backup using clone or snapshot.
- With Manager 6.x, a third host, the client host performs all storage system functions.